Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Poland Diaries - Day 2 & 3

I was sort of nervous and excited at the same time to meet the new team. I had barely managed to sleep the previous night and had left the bathroom light on due to my self imposed nyctophobia. I got ready and walked down to the breakfast area to have a heavy breakfast that included my favourite butter croissant and not so favourite cornflakes. On a counter near the breakfast area, I noticed a chef standing with a pan and eggs so I figured out I could do with a fried egg. This was a first, having breakfast in a new city in an hotel all by myself - I mean I have had breakfast alone, I have been to a new city alone and I have sat in an hotel but not in that combination.

A quick check on the weather app told me it was going to be freezing so I was in two minds on whether to be brave and take the public transport or to take a taxi, the choice was very easy also because I was running late. Once I was in the office, I was anxiously waiting for the call or email to go and pickup my new team from the reception. I was not sure on how I was going to recognize them. While I was thinking this, I got a ping and I went to get them.

Now the entrance to the office is a revolving door that functions on no specific logic. So as soon as you swipe your card, the door starts rotating. You have to be alert to quickly jump in the slot lest you miss it, then it doesn't really rotate enough for you to get out to the other side and you get stuck. At that point, the door realises that it has not fulfilled the duty of transporting the person to the other side at which point it starts rotating backwards until you are thrown out and the entire routine repeats again. It took me a day to perfect the art of getting in without creating a scene. So you can imagine the chaos that happened when four girls tried to get in.

As I brought them in, I very quickly realised that in their one had half day of induction, they were neither given any smart cards nor advised on how to login meaning it had suddenly become my responsibility to get them all the information to log in. Now the thing about the millennial generation new joiners is that there is no remorse in putting your hands up and waiting for someone to figure out things for you while you sit twiddling your thumbs because you are, well, new ! Now the consideration that I was almost as new to the place did not dawn upon them and I was running around trying to get them smart cards. I tried to pass away the time by showing them kitchen, stationery place and printer stuff but they didn't seem to be much impressed by this.

Some time passed and one of the colleagues who had helped me settle down yesterday strolled into the office. He gave me some old smartcards from employees who had left the organisation. However nothing in my office is simple. Now the only way to login to a machine is to insert the smart card in the keyboard and once that is detected, you enter your password to login. So what followed next was one hour of configuring the cards with their login - inserting the card in the keyboard slot, running the program, writing the chip with the login of new joiners. Of Course, needless to say the slot refused to detect the card several times until I mastered the art of pushing the card in just at the right time when the orange flickering light was switching to green, all in all total chaos. Anyways, after this routine, everyone was able to login and we settled down.

It was almost lunch time and today I had some company for lunch. A quick tour to the food court in the mall opposite the office building made me realise that there were only two vegetarian options for me for next two weeks - a bag of falafels or chinese oriental buffet. I rolled my eyes and settled for the falafels. When we were back at the office, we began the training session with introduction to the project followed by installing some applications in the system. Soon I was reminded in a subtle way that the Polish labour law requires that working beyond eight hours requires additional compensation and since that time was up, I had to let them leave.

I finished my work and made way to the tram stop opposite Grunwaldzki centre. It was quite freezing so I had no intention to walk home. Also, I had no clue how to order a cab so I gathered some courage and went to the ticket machine. Luckily, the ticket machine had 'English' as a language option along with few others like Spanish, German etc. I took a one way ticket costing about 3 zloty and waited for the tram number 33 to arrive. All along the way I was constantly looking out to make sure I dont miss the stop. So after three stops - Pilczyce, most GrunwaldzkiUrząd Wojewódzki, my hotel was finally in sight. I got down at Galeria Dominikanska with a great sense of achievement. I also did a small detour and explored the Galeria before returning to the hotel. I comforted myself with the leftover parathas for dinner and packed my baggage to check out tomorrow before slipping into a good nights sleep.

The next day, I checked out of the hotel and after yesterdays successful venture of travelling by trams, I took note of four possible tram numbers that could drop me to the office. I wanted to buy a ticket on the tram using the machine and two stops had passed but the ticket machine refused to accept my American Express. Time was running out and needless to say I panicked as I didnt have cash. After several attempts I decided to pay by my own debit card which thankfully worked so I heaved a sigh of relief. The day was pretty normal and I was excited to move to Hotel Monopol which was right in the city centre. I went back to the hotel and took a cab.


0 comments:

 

HeartFelt Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang